Sunday, June 7, 2009

Links to Skill Challenge info

I have been listening to the several podcasts concerning skill challenges lately and skill challenges are now on da' brain. Skill challenges are a great idea, but as written in the DMG, it is suffering from a few issues. They improved on them a bit with errata but to me they are still a bit dodgey. On the official D&D podcast Mike Mearls himself states that the mechanic begins to break down with any but the most simple of challenges.

So far I have run only one skill challenge, and it worked out pretty well, but I must admit it felt very foreign. Perhaps that is the biggest problem I have with skill challenges, is that I rely so heavily on my previous experiences to get me through, that when something new comes around the newness of the situation makes me feel that it is not "working". The ending of my one and only skill challenge was fun and memorable and thinking back on it I think it worked out better than any previous chase scene I have run in D&D(one reason might be because I can't recall too many chase scenes I have had in D&D before). But I feel there are things that can improved upon.

I had hoped to have here today a first pass at some changes for skill challenges. But I feel I need to seriously read ALL of Mike Mearls' articles on the subject before I start trying to "fix" something that might not be broken. Also there are a lot of other information about Skill Challenges out there already, and it would be important to make sure the thoughts I have don't duplicate others work, or at least give credit where credit is due.

So here is a list of what I have or am planning to read/listen to before I write my opinion on this large subject.

Podcasts:
Check out the podcast from the man himself Mike Mearls
Podcast 4/29 - I think this gives a good overview of the issues with Skill challenges, and Mike Mearls' latest word on how the mechanic is evolving.

Also Amorphous Blobs podcast was pretty informative too
Episode 32 and 33 are a great help.
Episode 32 is a great example of integrating the skill challenge into a roll-playing session without making it feel like combat. The skill challenge they run can give bonuses or drawbacks at each step of the way, they also encourage players to step up, setup skill challenges that allow the players narrative control. This is a bit old, but it is still good at getting your head into the concept.

Articles:
All of these require a DDI account, which means that if you have a DDI account you may have already read them, and if you do not, no can't. Bummer. But here is a list of all of the articles I need to read before I want to comment. I have glanced through most of them, but not with the proper mindset.
The Challenge of Skill Challenges
Rule #4
A Real Skill Challenge
Social Skill Challenges, Part 1
Social Skill Challenges, Part 2
Life During Wartime

Forums:
When 4E first came out EnWorld was buzzing with StalkerO's Obsidian Skill Challenge rules.
I had looked at these rules a while ago, for me it is a bit too much like a mini game rather than an extension to role playing. I may reread it after I have read through everthing else.

WOTC updates:
Make sure you get the latest updates from WOTC. Check out both DM Screen and DM's guide updates. If for no other reason to get the new DC's for improvised actions and thus skill challenges.


If anyone reading this knows of a good article about skill challenges, please let me know and I will update the list.

Update:
GameFiend from http://at-will.omnivangelist.net/ dropped me a note and mentioned that his site has many Skill Challenge related articles. I will be sure to check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment